What name can I register?
The National Academy of Sciences through its dependence NIC-Internet Costa Rica office will watch over to exclude any abuses in the Domain Name registration and to protect the registered brand names or any brand names that are legally protected under the Intellectual Property Act. Likewise, it will deny any Domain Name petitions, when their purposes are against morality, the public order, and the good principles; according to the existing Costa Rican law. The Domain Name, which are similar or generic terms that, could be held as of national interest; or Domain Name that could produce misunderstanding will be seized by the National Academy of Sciences.
The .CR extension is available for any sector or person: academic, business, educational, financial, government, organization, health, or personal.
ONLY name brands or registered trademarks that have protection from the Intellectual Property Act shall have to provide the pertinent documents to confirm it. Thus, if the applicant is a corporate entity the documentation to be provided will be:
- Letter from their official representative with the name of the corporation requesting the Domain Name.
- Original of the corporate license (personeríajurídica), within thirty (30) days of issuance
- Photocopy of the personal I.D. (cédula de identidad) of the official representative.
- Affidavit stating that he/she is the owner of this name brand, or that cpr144449003101 he/she is the attorney in fact or has authorization to carry out the registration.
If the applicant is an individual, the documents to be provided are:
- Letter from the person requesting the Domain Name.
- Photocopy of the personal I.D. (cédula de identidad) of the applicant.
- Affidavit stating that he/she is the owner of this name brand, or that he/she has the authorization for the Domain Name registration.